Turmeric is widely known for its health benefits. It has been used in Indian and Chinese medicines for its anti-inflammatory properties in the treatment of various conditions such as jaundice, flatulence, toothache, menstrual difficulties, hemorrhage, bloody urine, colic, chest pain, and bruises.
Its main healing effects are thought to come from the bright yellow compound called curcumin.
The inflammatory properties of turmeric have been used in the treatment for many IBD (inflammatory bowel diseases) like ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
It has also proved to be beneficial in the treatment of cystic fibrosis and soothing rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.
Moreover, it’s excellent way to prevent development of cancer, as well to prevent spreading of cancer (cell growth and metastasis).
Turmeric is beneficial for cardiovascular and liver health, reduces bad cholesterol, risk of heart disease and stroke. Finally, turmeric prevents Alzheimer’s disease.
With such a long list of benefits, it’s no wonder why lots of people love turmeric!
Several More Ways to Use Turmeric:
- Tie-dye free from chemicals-fill ¾ of a pot with water and add 5 tablespoons of turmeric. Then bring to boil and simmer. You can now add the desired (wet) fabric in the pot, and let it simmer for about one hour or less- depending on the desired color strength. Let it dry and you can now enjoy in the fabric.
- Face Mask for Dark Circles, Acne, and Rosacea- Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric, 1 tablespoon of water and 1 tablespoon of raw honey, and add more of the ingredients until you get enough sticky paste for your face. Make sure you clean and dry the skin before applying it and let it stay for 3 minutes. After this period rinse your skin.
- Antacid– Prepare a tea for heartburn by adding 1 tablespoon of turmeric in 4 cups of boiling water
- Natural Pain Killer
- Food Coloring in Baking– Replace the yellow dye color #5 with this natural alternative.
- Teeth Whitener– Make a paste by using 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 2 teaspoons of baking soda, and 3 tablespoons of softened coconut oil. Mix the ingredients until you get a creamy paste. Apply the paste on a dry toothbrush.
- Glowing skin– mix ⅓ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp lemon juice, and 1 whisked egg white. Apply the mixture on your face and let it stay for 10-15 minutes. After this period rinse the face.
- Handmade Putty Coloring for Kids– Combine water, flour, oil, salt, and tartar cream. Add turmeric in the mixture to get yellow color, beets for red color, and other natural ingredients for the different colors!
- Foundation– make foundation by adding turmeric to tinted moisturizer to match the tone of your skin.
- Handmade Soap Coloring– besides giving color to the soap, it gives other benefits for your skin.
- Anti-Dandruff Ointment– Combine coconut oil and turmeric to make an ointment for scalp massages. Let it stay on the scalp for 15 minutes, and then rinse it well.
- Mixture against Joint Pain– Combine two parts turmeric with one part Himalayan salt and add just enough water to make it spreadable. Then you can spread it on the affected area and let it stay for 20-60 minutes, once a day. Although your skin might get temporary yellow color, the swelling will reduce.
- Longevity Tea– the recipe for this tea is the same as the one for antacid mentioned above. You can add ginger and/or honey for a better taste.
- Add it to all dishes–give color to your curry, spice up your popcorn, and add more healthy benefits to your eggs with turmeric. Don’t hesitate to add it in every dish!
- Bake a cake– you can even make a cake with turmeric, and here is one recipe.
- Soothing Stomach Ache–soothes long stomach aches.
- Disinfection of Small Cuts and Wounds– Sprinkle a bit turmeric on your cut or wound, previously washed, before applying bandage.
- Relief from Sunburn– Mix turmeric with aloe vera gel and you will get instant pain-relief caused by sunburn.